NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic

dmitri wrote:
We made it a bit "smarter" and tab will work as usual in most cases, except when code completion request is "predicted". In this case TAB works like command line completion in unix shell http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Command_line_completion

Quote:
Command line completion is a common feature of command line interpreters, in which the program automatically fills in partially typed tokens. Depending on the specific interpreter and its configuration, these elements may include commands, arguments, environment variable names and other entities. Command line completion generally only works in interactive mode.[1] Command line completion is often invoked, by default, by pressing the tab key and frequently called tab completion even when bound to a different key or key combination

Still you can turn Code Complation On Tab off on the Code Insight settings page.

I don't know why you removed my posts dmitri, but I'm just gonna poke you about it again Wink

Before v5.0, I was able to type "background:" in a CSS-file, and use TAB as much as I wanted after that. I have my "Min. characters" settings on 2, upgraded to build 5210, and diabled the "Autocomplete on tab" function, but it still immediately pops up the autocomplete window, and I'm unable to TAB beyond it.

Even when I try this CLI-like tab-complete it doesn't work. For example I type this:
Code:

background: aq

The autocomplete shows up and shows as only option "aqua", I press tab, and nothing happens...

All the features that are put under the autocomplete and the tab button are fine... But at least make them working consistently among the whole program please!

I want to able to type background: again and tab as much as I want after that...
View user's profileFind all posts by MeAngrySend private messageVisit poster's websiteMSN Messenger
Site Admin

Quote:
I don't know why you removed my posts dmitri

MyAngry, don't be angry. I removed all non-relevant and duplicated posts. They'd make it hard to find solution for other people reading this forum.

Quote:
but it still immediately pops up the autocomplete window, and I'm unable to TAB beyond it

I am not sure that you're right with this. Please double check if what you posted there is actually what you're observing in the IDE. Indeed, when Code Completion On Tab is off, TAB works exactly as before. In other words you'd be able to TAB beyound.

Quote:
Even when I try this CLI-like tab-complete it doesn't work... I press tab, and nothing happens

That's not exactly correct. Tab is inserted if you press tab while Completion On Tab is off, hence code completion won't work upon TAB pressed. To get it working you have to turn the feature on.

I just tried to complete background: aq
and it worked fine for me. Would you check it again?

dmitri wrote:

MyAngry, don't be angry. I removed all non-relevant and duplicated posts. They'd make it hard to find solution for other people reading this forum.

Don't worry, I'm not angry. Wink I just thought it was a bit strange to see my posts gone, but I could imagine why you have done it. Smile

Quote:
I am not sure that you're right with this. Please double check if what you posted there is actually what you're observing in the IDE. Indeed, when Code Completion On Tab is off, TAB works exactly as before. In other words you'd be able to TAB beyound.

Well I'm working with the IDE on a daily basis, and use this functionality all the time, so yeah, I'm pretty sure. Smile

Quote:
That's not exactly correct. Tab is inserted if you press tab while Completion On Tab is off, hence code completion won't work upon TAB pressed. To get it working you have to turn the feature on.

I just tried to complete background: aq
and it worked fine for me. Would you check it again?

I just did and I can't understand why it would work for you and not for me. To help you understand my problem a bit easier I made some screenshots.

This screenshot displays my settings:

And these screenshots demonstrate the problem:

The first screenshot demonstrates what happens when I type "background:". Immediately (after the timeout, which I explicitly made very short) the autocomplete pops up. And I'm unable to use the tab-button. I made the timeout short because I want to be able to use it fast when I DO want to use it. Wink

The second screenshot demonstrates me trying to complete aq to aqua, tab doesn't work here again.

[s]I also found another bug this afternoon:

I select a block of code and want to indent them using TAB or Ctrl + I. The second screenshot shows what happens. Instead of indenting the block of code, it indents the line after the block of code. (Where the cursor is actually standing.)

Here are my relevant shortcut settings:
[/s]

[edit]
Nevermind, I saw the other topic and enabled Smart Tab, now my block indent is working again, although I find it confusing to see it only work with that option enabled.

I hope this helps to find the source of the problem. Thank you for looking into it. Smile
Really appreciate and love the support here on the forums. There're a lot of companies with forums, but most of em are never read, in the contrary to this one. Smile
View user's profileFind all posts by MeAngrySend private messageVisit poster's websiteMSN Messenger
Site Admin

Quote:
The first screenshot demonstrates what happens when I type "background:". Immediately (after the timeout, which I explicitly made very short) the autocomplete pops up.

Well, the popup was invoked without tab.

Quote:
And I'm unable to use the tab-button. I made the timeout short because I want to be able to use it fast when I DO want to use it.

ah, you meant that TAB did not work while the popup is opened.
Indeed, there is a little glitch. When Code Completion On Tab is off, it's supposed to insert tab or corresponding number of spaces (depending on Use Tab Character setting), but would not complete anyway.
Still, I recommend you to turn Code Completion On Tab back on.

Would it be possible to insert a tab while double-pressing on the TAB key rather than waiting for a timeout ?
Site Admin

Quote:
Would it be possible to insert a tab while double-pressing on the TAB key rather than waiting for a timeout ?

there is no timeout to wait for Smile
When code completion popup is opened, tab will either result in tab character inserted or will auto-complete, depending on Code Completion On Tab option. There are no timeouts for either of the ways.

Thank you for your answers.

dmitri wrote:
Well, the popup was invoked without tab.

Why does it do that? Where is the Min. characters setting for then? Wink I say make it work consistently among the whole application, and don't make it work in way A in PHP files, and in way B in CSS files. Or atleast make it an option.

Quote:
Indeed, there is a little glitch. When Code Completion On Tab is off, it's supposed to insert tab or corresponding number of spaces (depending on Use Tab Character setting), but would not complete anyway.
Still, I recommend you to turn Code Completion On Tab back on.

Well, I don't want Code Completion on TAB Smile The option is there for a reason of course, I prefer the 4.x way how things worked, I'd like to be able to insert a TAB at any time, at any place. It's just the way I work. Wink
I hope this glitch will be fixed in the next build?

Thank you for your time so far.

The way tab is handled in the 5.2 caught me out as well, and I'm not happy with it either. Even after switching off the code completion on tab I cannot indent blocks with tab as I used to, or if I set it up to indent blocks I cannot insert tabs...
Not happy. And I hope this post will not get deleted, Dimitri you're way too heavy handed with the delete button.
Site Admin

I'm sorry but if you post without reading other posts, it often tells nothing new and looks like repeating blame/flame. Just read them and you will find that Smart Tab enables what you're missing with block indentation. Don't need Tab-based code completion? Excellent. Turn it off. It's explained there too. Not satisfied with searching through the forum before posting? I asked you to contact support team directly and they will respond to you fast and professionally.

BTW many other people thanked us for implementing TAB this way and found it much more comfortable. They are happy.
You never know.

You have to know that we do appreciate the help Dmitri, but not every problem is exactly the same, even though it might look like it.
If you've read ysu's post maar carefully you would see this:
Quote:
Even after switching off the code completion on tab I cannot indent blocks with tab as I used to, or if I set it up to indent blocks I cannot insert tabs...

So as a matter of fact, he did read the posts, but when enabled Smart Tab he probably gets another bug. (Or feature... just what you like to call it. Wink )

And it may be true that some people like the new tab functionality, but it's just a pity, that options which are there to disable this new functionality don't really work as intended. I mean, I can still not use tab when the autocomplete window pops up, even though "Autocomplete on tab" is disabled, but I've mentioned it before. Smile

Believe me, I love the new features, but not every feature is made for all the persons using PhpED, especially not if it changes the way how they work.
5.2 and TAB code compleion