NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
4.5 experiences

I'm testing phpED 4.5 almost for a week.

I didn't read over this section of the forum, and I don't know whether you changed something what I
describe below in your 4.6 version.

I like this program. I used HomeSite 4.5-5.2 with php function code completion plugin and when I found
this solution very limited I bought Zend Studio. But ZS is an angular proggy, with many problems.

And I have found phpEd.

Let me show a color coding bug first:

Code:

<?php
$et = mysql_query ("SELECT * FROM idezet WHERE megjelenes < '".date('Y-m-d')."' ORDER BY megjelenes");
$idezetek = mysql_fetch_assoc($et);

$idopont = substr($idezetek['megjelenes'], 0, 7);
?>
<script type="text/javascript">
    var opened = "<?php echo $idopont ?>";
</script>
<table width='100%' border='0' cellspacing='0' cellpadding='0'>
        <tr>

In the code above the <?php echo $idopont ?> is evaluated and colored as JavaScript string, not a php
code.

I like the Help system. Just drop your chm into the help folder, and we display the content. Great! But I
cannot change the title of the help. I use the Hungarian php manual, but the title is "topic9" under the
Help tab, and there is no title in the Help menu. The settings/IDE/Help shows Failed document. I wanted
to change the title, but I couldn't, there is no rename function.
My dream was to change the English manual to the Hungarian one. In Zend Studio it was easy, as the file
structure are the same. But the phpED system accepted neither the file change, nor file renaming.
Search in help files is a limited function: I typed "indent" in the search field, chose nusphere phped
manual, and received no answer. I realized later, the search function is working on the titles only.
As you use chm-s in the help system I expected the "favorites" chm service as well.
Anyhow, I like this idea, as I can read not only help files, but 3rd party tutorials, hints and tips just
in a mouse click.

Keywords like function, global, extends, class, public, private etc. are not supported by code
completion feature - or did I make something wrong? Yes, I know about Autocorrection, but maybe these
keywords could be predefined by the system.
I also missed the html entities list in autocompletion functions.

Could you expand the matching brackets feature to matching tags in html parts of documents?

Autocorrection vs. shortcut key
I tried to use autocorrection to insert html entities like &nbsp; as I read somewhere, but it wasn't a
big idea. I placed on the '&n'+space first, but I received '&nbsp; ' instead of '&nbsp;' and the I had to
clear the extra space to use functionality of non breaking space. With this solution I didn't save too
much typing Smile I think a shortcut key would be more usable (like in Zend Studio, where you can get some
frequently used entities by redefine shortcuts).
Shortcuts: as I have used Homesite for a long time, I was very happy, to see the feature of redefinable
shortcuts. I hoped I haven't to learn new key combinations. But there are missing functions in the shortcut
list, like Save as, Save all, Close, Close all, etc.

I just played with phpED for a week, I tried out debugging, debugging with localhost Apache, ftp and
db client support, I like VERY MUCH your workspace/project system, the well organized desktop, the
hiding palettes (I saw it only in Indesign until this time).
I enjoyed this sessions with phpEd, and I'm sad to return to Zend Studio after ending the evaluation
period.

Maybe this is the biggest problem with phpED, why couldn't I find it earlier then ZS? This is your
weakness in marketing.
There is a proverb 'good wine needs no bush', but phpED does!

Zsolt Toroczkay

Last edited by toro on Sun Jun 18, 2006 12:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
4.5 experiences